Vals Pals - The SUGAR Group stop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vals Pals - The SUGAR Group stop

Chat forum for All Val's Friends & The SUGAR Group Staff

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Canine Staph

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jdtru
Perfect Pal
jdtru

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:57 am

Yesterday, my husband noticed two round things under our dog Jingle Bells' chin. I go and look at it and immediatly thing it is an allergic reaction starting. He eats everything so it is not too far fetched. I have some medicine from the last time this happened. I gave him a pill and went to work. At about 2, Brnaodn calls me and tells me to get a hold of the Vet because JB is worse. I go pick them up and head to the Vet (only one car right now due to a flat and no money). Also, let me say what a joy of a boss I now have, soooo wonderful! I finally get to look and it looks like two hardend patches about the size of a nickel (on a small dog with a big head apparently). The vet takes one look and says, "looks like he's got a staph infection." So when we get home, we check the other dogs. Nothing. We both are trying to like not touch our face which, of course, starts to itch and get things cleaned and the dog seperated from the others so it does not spread. But that is hard too because they are such good friends that they want to play and sleep by each other. We go for a bike ride and when we get back, we notice that one of the other dogs has it too, but right next to his itchy eyes. So what do I do? We gave Soinc some of JB's meds and I'm going to call the vet mondya morning for more pills but how do I keep the dog that is DEFINATLY a momma's boy and the only one that is daddies from spreading it to our other dog or the tow that we are dog sitting or us?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Admin
Something_To_Believe_In

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 10:59 am

I just hate this. I know we have talked about it, but I forgot to tell ya that Shawna (USMom) had Staph in a glider, so she has lots of experience in keeping it from going all over the house. Hopefully she will be along soon to give some advice.
Back to top Go down
http://valspals.roflforum.net
USMom
Most Awesome Moderator
USMom

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:47 am

Well, first, I would look up hot spots and consider those.

Second, you need to have the staph cultured. I didn't find out until after we went through three months of meds that Coopers staph wasn't contagious. Until you find that out, you have to keep that one isolated, completly. In a bathroom or something. I have no idea how you would treat your entire house. But, you'll have to wipe down everything once a day. I did it with Coopers hospital cage, of course, with a glider, it's a lot easier to do!

If you have any questions, you can call me, Val has the number. I don't know how much more than this I know, but I'll try.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sugargliderretreat.net
jdtru
Perfect Pal
jdtru

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Trying   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Two months!?!? That seems like such a long time!!! Well, today I have got some clenaer that I know kills just about everything and cleaned what I could. I just don't know what to do with the couches, beds, carpets....things that don't just wipe down. But thanksfully the weather is great so they are spending time outside so we can keep the "clean" animals inside. We have an inclosed porch so they are sleeping out there. It's breaking my heart but I really cannot afford for any more spead of disease.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Most Awesome Moderator
USMom

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Staph, believe it or not is a rather wimpy virus. It doesn't survive in the air very long. Non porus surfaces like hard wood floors, counters, tile, etc... it only lives 10 or 15 minutes. You can kill it wil lysol spray or something similar. Hand washing, etc... will kill it too.
Back to top Go down
jdtru
Perfect Pal
jdtru

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Well, everything seems to be working. Jingle Bells chin is healing. It still looks bad but it is better than it was. Sonic's bump is smaller. We got more medicine from the vet so now we can give them meds until it is gone. AND none of the other dogs got infected (or either of the real humans living here). :sunny:
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Admin
Something_To_Believe_In

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 6:39 pm

cheers Canine Staph 870552 clap

YIPPIE!

I can't wait till I can love and kiss on Sonic again without worrying that any of my babies will get it. I miss him.
dance1
Back to top Go down
USMom
Most Awesome Moderator
USMom

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Yay!!!!! Canine Staph 931843
Back to top Go down
jdtru
Perfect Pal
jdtru

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 10:48 am

Everything seemed to kinda plateau. Jingle Bells' chin is looking better but it is still pink and raised. Sonic still had the bump on his head. So yesterday Brandon took them back to the vet. He pulled back the bump on Sonic's head (or ripped it off). Must not have hurt though because Sonic is a bit of a whimp and he just closed his eyes for a second when the Vet was "poking" around his eye. Now he has a small raised pink area too instead of a bump. But we were out of meds. The Vet said that it could take a while but they are getting better. We did not do any test to see if they were still contagious. But they have gotten used to sleeping on the porch and are SOOOOOOOO very cute about it. We have just one dog bed. We put it out there so they would have somewhere comfortable to sleep (maybe they are spoiled). Sonic curles up in it and JB snuggles around him. It is so my favorite thing right now. But I am ready to have them back inside with me.
Back to top Go down
jdtru
Perfect Pal
jdtru

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm glad to say that both of my boys are better and wounds are healing nicely.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Admin
Something_To_Believe_In

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 pm

cheers Canine Staph 38416
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canine Staph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canine Staph   Canine Staph I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canine Staph
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Vals Pals - The SUGAR Group stop :: Dog Pals :: Canine Capers-
Jump to: